Talk about online dating gone wrong! One man who went looking for love at an online dating service took it to heart. Alexander Pieter Cirk was due to arrive back home in Holland after reportedly spending 10 days at a Chinese airport in a failed bid to meet a woman he’d fallen for on a dating app.
Apparently frustrated by the time and distance separating the couple, the 41-year-old decided to demonstrate his affection by flying around 5,000 miles to visit her. Prior to his departure, Cirk reportedly sent the 26-year-old woman a picture of his flight details.
Thousands of miles later when he landed in the Chinese city of Changsha, there was no sign of his online love. Convinced that she would eventually come for him, Cirk decided to stay at the terminal and patiently waited for her.
Photos of him lounging around and wandering through Changsha Huanghua International Airport soon began to circulate on Chinese social media. Local news reports followed. After 10 days, authorities reportedly took a frail-looking Cirk to a local hospital for treatment.
A spokesman for the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that Cirk had been hospitalized from three to four days. The spokesman added: “We contacted him [Cirk] and his doctor when he was in the hospital and asked if he needed our assistance but he declined the offer.” Chinese and Dutch officials declined to discuss what Cirk was treated for.
Chinese state broadcaster CCTV reported that a local TV channel eventually tracked down the woman. She expressed surprise that her online boyfriend had been waiting for her to show up. She confessed that she thought Cirk was joking about the trip.
She also claimed that she was scheduled to have plastic surgery and therefore hadn’t been able to respond to Cirk’s messages when he arrived in China. The woman reportedly added that she hoped to maintain her long-distance relationship with Cirk.
Another man made a fool of by a woman. When will we ever learn?
The French government recently announced the formation of a new National Guard to protect citizens facing terrorist attacks. The move follows attacks across France that killed more than 200 people since January 2015. The original French National Guard, first formed at the onset of the French Revolution,was disbanded in 1872, 144 years ago.
Calls for a National Guard arose following multiple attacks in Paris last November, which killed 130 people. These calls resurfaced after the Bastille Day attack in Nice on July 14 in which 84 people were killed by a man driving a truck.
The country experienced another high-profile terrorist attack in July when a priest had his throat slashed. This happened during a service at a church in Normandy. All the attackers pledged allegiance to ISIS, a terror organization misrepresenting Islam.
The National Guard, which is expected to become operational this fall, will be composed of volunteers from existing operating reserves. This includes the police, paramilitary police, and military. President François Holland encouraged all “patriots” to enlist in the country’s operational reserve forces. He said that 15,000 reserve forces would be available.